Sunday, 4 March 2012

Beautiful Madness Script

One of the central pieces of my Production Work, this is the script for my short documentary:




                           BEAUTIFUL MADNESS      (27/1/11)
                     By ABEL DIAZ

Scene 1. INT BEDROOM
YOUNG PERSON (PRESENTER) is sat at a computer, typing.

PRESENTER (NARRATION)
My name is Abel Diaz. I’m 17 and study media and film at City and Islington. I’m a huge film buff as evidenced by my collection and posters. But there is more to me than just a love of movies. I have Asperger’s Syndrome, a disorder that is greatly misunderstood by many.

PRESENTER (INTERVIEWEE)
I feel that Asperger’s is really a life changing deal. My first hand experiences make it all too clear that it is misunderstood and, in many ways, hated by many people. They forget that just because you’re smart doesn’t mean you’re arrogant or selfish on purpose. And in the case of Asperger’s, much of what I do is not because I want it to, but because it just does.

SLIDESHOW OF BRAIN AND EDUCATION PICTURES WHILE PRESENTER NARRATES

PRESENTER (NARRATION)
Surprisingly, Asperger’s is actually common. …In… people are born with it. Asperger’s basically works like this: the person affected learns faster and is smarter than someone else at a young age, however, this extra brain power comes at the cost of social skills, meaning that Aspergics can’t make friends or become involved in groups as easily as many people.


Scene 2. INT LIVING ROOM
INTERVIEW SCENARIO: MUM is facing the camera while PRESENTER asks the following questions:

PRESENTER (INTERVIEWER)
So when did you first notice that your son had problems?
What did you first think?
How has it been to raise a child with Asperger’s?

MUM
(Gives answers)



CUT TO PHOTO OF ST.PATRICK’S RC PRIMARY SCHOOL AS PRESENTER NARRATES

PRESENTER (NARRATION)
Sadly, Mum’s troubles didn’t end there. I attended St Patrick’s Primary School, a local school during my childhood. But nothing could’ve prepared me for the nightmare that ensued: 7 years of bullying, teasing, negligence and ultimately, discrimination.

Scene 3. INT LIVING ROOM
INTERVIEW SCENARIO: MARGARET HARVEY is facing the camera while PRESENTER asks the following questions:

PRESENTER (INTERVIEWER)
So when did you first meet me or become aware of my problems?
Why do you remember about the battles to get me support?
Do you think that this whole affair could’ve been handled better?

MARGARET
(Gives answers)

CUT TO PHOTO OF STORMONT HOUSE SCHOOL AS PRESENTER NARRATES
PRESENTER (NARRATION)
Then, like a miracle, the tide began to change. Arriving at Stormont House School, after long battles with school and experts alike, I, through the help of an assistant, began to rebuild my shattered confidence, slowing regaining my independence and beginning to socialize and learning to be with others.

Scene 4. INT BEDROOM
YOUNG PERSON (PRESENTER) is sat at a desk
PRESENTER (INTERVIEWEE)
I felt like I was regaining my childhood. I could finally go and play games or sports with other people. I could finally talk to other people. I got to know other people. It was so mind-blowing that, after years of being in the shadows, I was finally coming out and facing the world instead of hiding. It was at this time that I really began to become more spiritual and, in a sense, more in tune with who I was and what it meant to be me. I think that people are quick to assume that just because you are smart that you have everything, but in reality, many Aspergics across the world have stories worse than mine. Some are even cast out by their own families for being who they are.

Scene 5. EXT BALCONY
YOUNG PERSON (PRESENTER) leaves the house and walks down the balcony.
PRESENTER (NARRATION)
And I just gave a quick skim of events. So much happened to me over the last seventeen years that I could go on for another few hours. However, what I have said is the most important parts of this story. Everywhere I look, I can see someone like me, in pain, alone scared and hated by those around them just because of who they are. But next time you see someone who is smart and yet, lonely in your class, think about what I told you and remember, there is more to someone than you see.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment