Monday, 5 May 2014

Yr2 Week 26 (Wed 30 Apr - Uploading Shattered Reflecion and Final thoughts)

With Pete's aid unavailable for today, my director decided to push on and upload a 'temporary' version of the film so as to meet the deadline. Once Pete's schedule cleared up, we could then work on finishing up all the sound work, and then get that in to David and Eddie for the end of year show. Also, my director intended to make a director's cut, given our 10 minute time limit, which would run closer to 15 minutes, and hopefully send this one out to festivals as per her original intentions.

And, by about 3pm today, we got it rendered and shipped off. So then, final thoughts?

Honestly, I am not entirely satisfied, as I'm sure you the reader have gathered from past blog posts. Throughout this entire production, we have had pretty much nothing but continuous problems and curve balls thrown at us. Whether it be unreliable crew, problematic scheduling, unreliable sources for production needs like the whole debacle surrounding the flat, or even bad technical botches, something has always popped up to annoy us. Of course, I was very stressed and anxious, but who I feel most sorry for is my director, for whom, this was a very personal project. How must she feel, knowing that her vision, based on a story she drew from real life experience, has continually been undermined by sheer bad fortune due to either incompetence or simple indifference on the part of others.

Naturally, I take a chunk of the blame myself, as sometimes I let the weight of the situation get to me, and was not forward thinking enough to counteract some of the problems, especially the disastrous club shoot that then lead to a reshoot. However, I am also furious with certain crew members who failed to be reliable, and in some cases, failed to inform me of schedule changes. People like Zane and Kacper were very clear and easy to work with, but then, people like Sidarth (who was supposed to do booming for our entire shoot), save for one instance related to a family accident, was always either late to or never responded to posts on the group's production page, or even to messages. I cannot tell you how much of a betrayal I feel at this, and my director feels much the same as well.

However, I cannot also deny that the experience hasn't also been useful,. as well as eye opening for me. It has given me a new respect and appreciation for producers and indeed, the 'art' of producing, and how difficult it is. So often, directors get the biggest slice of the credit pie that we often forget how vital a good producer is to getting a film off the ground in the first place. Though it wasn't always the easiest road, I feel that, through thick and thin, I managed to pull it off, albeit not as well as better circumstances would have allowed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment