Thursday 21 July 2022

I'm writing River City!

It looked like it was going to be a quiet summer after I did my time with Emmerdale... and now I have just gotten commissioned for an episode on BBC Scotland's River City! Created by Stephen Greenhorn (who also wrote some David Tennant Doctor Who episodes that I have nostalgic fondness for!) this long running drama is, to sum up logline style, a Scottish Eastenders: all about the trials and tribulations of a working class neighbourhood in Glasgow. Love, secrets and lies in a half hour - what more could you ask for?
 
As if that wasn't enough, there was no trial or scheme this time - I sent a spec, they liked it, we talked and bam, got the real deal. My first guaranteed broadcast drama credit, and my first broadcast TV episode since Pablo (and not for lack of trying either).
 
 BBC Scotland - River City
 
Big, big thanks to Joanne Sneddon and Isabella Barber on the show, for giving me this opportunity, as well as Michelle Goode of Writersofluid, whose notes service helped polish the drama script that got me onto the trial in the first place (indeed, the same that got me Doctors, Emmerdale and my agent. A gift that truly keeps giving). And not forgetting my friends and family either, who've had my back and kept me going. 2022 has truly been a whirlwind year, and knock on a whole forest's worth of wood, this won't be the last of it!

(P.S. The longtime reader may be wondering 'hey, what happened to Doctors?' Well, on top of my commitment to Emmerdale's Original Voices, there have been a few changes in personnel, meaning I got put on the backburner. With luck, it shan't be a lot longer till I have something to talk about there...)

No comments:

Post a Comment