Monday 10 January 2022

I'm joining Emmerdale (ITV Original Voices 2021)

Only a few months after my big score on BBC's Doctors, this happens. 

I completed the 2021 ITV Original Voices scheme (you may recall I did the 2019 intake for Coronation Street, but didn't make the final four. If you want to refresh, or learn about it if you're new, here) and got chosen to do a three-month comprehensive placement in the story and script departments of this long-running country drama. It's not unlike the Writer's Scheme from Doctors, but more expansive: you learn every step that it takes to make an episode. At the end, I do another shadow/trial script for the show. If they like it, well, who knows what opportunities arise?

It is amusing for me to get this: Emmerdale has been a constant in my life, coming in and out. Being the son of Spanish migrants who grew up rural, the show always gave me a cozy nostalgic feeling when I was away from Spain. Back when I was at Met Film School, doing my masters in screenwriting, I met none other than head honcho of the ITV soaps, John Whiston, down in London. Really nice guy, had lots of advice about television and we stayed in touch since. He even read and really liked a script of mine!

So, a big fat thanks to everyone on the Emmerdale team, for giving me this opportunity, as well as Michelle Goode of Writersofluid, whose notes helped the script that got me onto both Original Voices schemes, as well as on Doctors (a reminder that a good script keeps on giving and giving). And not forgetting my friends and family, who've cheered me on as the application and test script for this part of the scheme were done on super-tight turnaround. Including the great Mr. Josh Merritt, a fine artist in his own right, cheerleading me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment